Saturday, July 2, 2011

Requested Post: Don't Use Crap Brushes

I think I have been watching too much My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. (Maybe I'll post on that elegance later...) I feel like I have started using their vernacular. Yesterday I said, "It's driving me mad!" Now I just typed "crap brushes." And kept it. Anyway, this is a requested post by my friend, Holly O. Makeup brushes can be confusing, I know. But if you are using any brush that came with something you bought, put that ish down and start reading. And if I find out you are using one of those little sponge tip thingys to put on eyeshadow, you are getting punched.





 First, let's discuss face/foundation/powder/whateverthehellyouuse brushes. I'm working from left to right from the picture above. The first brush is a kabuki-type brush, used for loose powder or pressed powder (usually mineral) foundations. This is my down-ass b brush. It helps you get a fuller coverage, and if you use a mineral foundation, you need a brush like this.

Next, is what I use for a powder brush. It's a little more densely-packed than your normal powder brush. It's actually a blush brush, but I dig it for powder.

The third brush is what I use to apply bronzer. It's fluffier, so you don't get an assload of pigment just in one spot.

The next one is a blush brush. You can't really tell from the picture, but it's kind of flat. I like that in a blush brush, so you have more control. Unlike bronzer, you don't really want blush all over your freaking face. (Unless you are into that. I don't know, maybe that's cool.)

The fifth brush is a liquid foundation brush. This one is synthetic, but you can also use a natural bristle. Whatever you like, I don't care. I don't use this much, because I'm not that keen (See? British.) on liquid foundation. I'm and oily b. I look a hot ass mess. But if you are a liquid foundation girl, you need this in your life.

Next we have a concealer brush, which I am totally into. Awesome.

Last, thrown on top, is a puff. I use this bad boy last, to kind of blend it all together. Take some of the harshness away.


Whew, this is a long-ass trek. On to the eyes. Yes, I use all of these. (In fact these are just my "regulars." I have more.) Ugh, I hate myself. And listen, if you aren't high maintenance and crap like me, you need like two of these. Left to right again, okay? First, the fluffiest. I use this for my all-over lid color/base lid color. Over my UD primer potion, of course!

The next brush is pretty flat, and I use that one to press the color on my lid from crease to lash line.

The next three are for getting the color in the crease of your eyelid. They are made to fit right along that crease under your brow bone, and makes it easy for you to shade your ass off and add dimension.

The next two (the bigger, fluffier ones) are great for blending. After you have been shading and creasing your ass off.

The next little guy is really for spot concealing, but I think it's perfect for highlighting right under your eyebrow.

Second to last is must-have eyebrow brush. I use this for brow powder application, but you could use it for a cream/gel/powder eyeliner as well.



The last one (finally) I use to apply gel eyeliner to my waterline (the inside of the lower eyelid).

Damn, I need a nap. I don't think anyone read this entire post. This is is ridiculous. Pin It

2 comments :

  1. I MADE IT TO THE END! Whew. That was a major journey, and I thank you for creating that masterpiece. Off to brush-land I go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all of it...might need to bookmark it so I have all the info when I go brush shopping:) You should do a blog on foundation, I too am oily and have the hardest time finding 1 with good coverage that I like...

    ReplyDelete

storystack

Google